From Maru Mora Villalpando
Position Announcement: ORGANIZER (FULL TIME)
Framework: We are entering a historic time in our country where local efforts to reduce greenhouse gases and global warming are expected to generate thousands of job opportunities as well as new products that are healthier for our homes and families. Got Green believes that through community organizing, we can make sure that Seattle-area “green jobs” provide opportunity to communities most in need: low income communities of color; and that “green jobs” are also “good jobs” – paying a living wage and benefits. We also believe that through organizing, we can make sure that low income families gain equal access to “green products” and “green lifestyles.”
Got Green is a start-up organization – sponsored by the White Center Community Development Association – and we are seeking an experienced community organizer to build a racially diverse activist base of low income and working class young adults of color to fight to ensure that their communities fully benefit from the sustainable, green economy.
· Recruit and develop the leadership of low income and young adults of color to participate in and lead all of Got Green’s activities.
· Develop and implement a broad-based outreach and recruitment plan to 1) Bring new members into Got Green; 2) Educate communities of color (including recent immigrant communities) about green jobs opportunities; 3) Recruit potential participants into a union-certified Weatherization Installer Tech training program.
· Work with volunteer activists to plan and lead community organizing campaigns aimed at 1) Shifting the balance of power in favor of low income communities; 2) Winning concrete demands that improve the lives of low income young adults of color.
· Organize events such as community forums; hip hop shows; film showings; accountability sessions; etc. to advance Got Green’s outreach and organizing.
· Create leadership and personal development plans with each of Got Green’s core constituent leaders. Support Got Green leaders towards reaching their goals.
· Help to develop and lead organizing skills trainings and political education sessions for Got Green constituents/activists.
· Build and maintain a community-based interpreting/translation network
· Assist with fundraising activities such as grant writing; meetings with potential funders; event organizing; as needed.
· Support Got Green’s Weatherization Tech Installer training program and field work. Build relationships with Got Green trainees to involve them in community organizing efforts.
· Participate in staff meetings, organization-wide retreats and on-going strategic planning sessions and support other staff where needed
· Represent Got Green’s mission, values and objectives in all interactions with the public.
· Demonstrated connections to and “roots” in communities of color
· Minimum three years direct organizing experience around economic, racial, and/or gender justice issues – preferably in communities of color
· Experience developing the leadership skills of low income/working class constituents
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Strong computer skills – MS Office, Web-based email, databases, etc.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
· Valid WA State Driver’s license, owns a vehicle, is/can be insured.
· “Risk taker” and “Team player”
· Fluent in a second language
· Existing network in one or more local communities of color
· Experience with/knowledge of organized labor movement and specifically building trades unions
· Desktop publishing, graphic design, or web design experience
· Sense of humor
COMPETITIVE SALARY $37K-$42K DOE
Sick Leave & Accrual
Vacation (12 days in the first year)
12 paid holidays
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Submit resume, cover letter and three references ASAP via email to:
SUBJECT LINE: Organizer position
Please also submit your answer (500 words or less) to the following:
What have you found to be the greatest challenges and opportunities to building a grassroots activist base in low-income communities of color?